An interesting find(not car)

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: An interesting find(not car)
From: Robert Larson <robertlarson@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 17:08:18 -0400
Hi,

           This leads me to a question that maybe one of the oil Guru's
can answer.  When did ZDDP become
one of the oil additives?

            The reason I ask is that I just came across a source of
Castrol "S" oil., part #292.  It is a synthetic
blend of oil labeled as "4 Cycle Motorcycle Oil".   However it is rated
as meeting API SD-SE requirements.
That was good for  vehicles  up until 1980 when it became obsolete.
Certainly should be OK for any Healey and many
of my old motorcycles especially when I consider the "or one year"
requirement for oil changes.

               I bought a case of 24 quart cans, not being  sure, for
$30.    I am wondering about just going back
and getting more.  If nothing else, it was a lifetime supply for the
squirter type oil can.

                Any knowledge or opinions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob
55 BN1     (Well before SD/SE was in  use, SC was 64-67)

Sam DeSalvo wrote:

As I was cleaning out my workshop shelves, I came across a plastic bottle of
"Oil Treatment". The bottle is probably 30+ years old, but what caught my eye
was that it was a bottle of ZDDP marketed by Western Auto. It got me thinking,
if they were selling it then, were the oils of the day deficient of ZDDP or
was there another additive available. Just an interesting find.
Cheers,
Sam
BN1