Re: Insurance in canada

To: "healeys" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Insurance in canada
From: "Carr&Edwards" <scvc70@epix.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 20:04:37 -0400
"Expeditious" is a mild word for it -- it's my understanding that if the
Canadian police ask for evidence of insurance, you must be able to show that
the amount of your coverage meets Canadian minimums, or you will be detained
until you can prove that.

All the standard U.S. insurance card shows is that you have coverage of some
kind.  Hence the "Canadian Interprovince Motor Vehicle Liability Insurance
Card" [that's the approximate name--also used to be called a "yellow card,"
as they were that color], which your insurance company will send you on
request if your coverage meets Canadian requirements.  A copy of your
policy's Declarations page would probably suffice if you haven't time to get
a Canada card--that's what I did after our MGC let us down on the way to
Nova Scotia a few years ago and we had to go back home and get the Subaru
instead....

Sarah Carr
BN1 in PA