Leaf spring help

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Leaf spring help
From: Stephen Hutchings <s.hutchings@rogers.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 11:02:53 -0400
OK, I need the benefit of bitter experience here. I'm removing the
rear springs on my BJ 8 in preparation for removing the axle, and
I've run into a situation that may require more cutting of old
hardware. When I try to turn the nuts on the rear shackles, the whole
spring flexes up. There's not too much room to work in here....should
I have tried this when the spring was still attached to the axle? All
the accounts I've read said to undo the U-bolts first.
Any suggestions before I cut?
Stephen, BJ8