RE: Healey Resurrection-Bad News

To: "George Haywood" <haywoodone@hotmail.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Healey Resurrection-Bad News
From: "Quinn, Patrick" <Patrick.Quinn@det.nsw.edu.au>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 13:04:36 +1000
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-healeys@autox.team.net [mailto:owner-healeys@autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of George Haywood
Sent: Monday, 18 June 2007 12:46 PM
To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Healey Resurrection-Bad News

Well I got some bad news,

After all the hard work to get this car ready for Conclave somebody came
along and poured vanilla milk shake into my oil.  The engine is a fresh
rebuild that has set in my garage for about a year waiting to go into
the car after body work.  We ran it in for 20 minutes and took it for a
drive that same day and all was fine.  The next evening my wife and I
went for a drive but I checked fluid levels prior and noticed the
antifreeze was down to the rods so I added a little thinking that air
had been purged and it was normal.  The car ran a little rough but the
temp gauge went up to about 200 and the thermostat opened and the temp
went down to 195 and stayed there the whole 5 mile drive.  The next day
I wanted to take it out for a little longer drive and I noticed vapor
coming out of the exhaust and the temp gauge went very rapidly to 220+.
I checked the radiator and it was down about 1/2 gal.  I filled it up
and went on my way thinking that air was beneath the sensor thus making
the temp so high.  My wife followed me over to a friend's house to a
party and she said that vapor came out the entire 6 mile trip.  The temp
remained 195 steady and I checked the oil fill cap and it was white as
well as the dip stick.  The radiator smells of exhaust gas.
Needless to say we will not be at Conclave with this car--we'll have to
suffer with our Solstice for that drive-maybe next time.

I guess I'll pull the head when we get back to see what things look like
(not to mention having a word with the engine rebuilder).  Maybe it's
just a bad gasket--we'll see.

Thanks to everyone who pitched in to expedite this rebuild and answered
so many of my questions and offered pictures, parts, labor, and advice
on this project.  It is going to be a nice car, just not going to make
it to Vermont this year.  We also had a trip planned to take the car
back to the original owner who is now in her 80's and widowed.  This is
their mooning car and we wanted her to see it as it was when new.  We
are the second owners and the car had not left the garage since 1974
until we bought it in Sept., 2005.
We'll just wait till Sept. this year and take a drive to Long Island to
show her.

Take care and we'll see you in Vermont.  We'll be the ones in the red
Solstice with big grins on our faces.

George and Sherry Haywood
sick '65 bj8

___