Cooling Update, Part One

To: "Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cooling Update, Part One
From: "M Lempert" <mlempert@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 22:08:27 -0400
This is my fourth attempt to send this to the list. Now, thinking maybe it's
too long, I'll break it up into two parts.

Part One:

Burrrrrrr, sure is cool around here.  It appears that I have solved my
cooling problem with the BN2. For those of you who were contributing to or
following my cooling issue, here's the latest...

In addition to all the comments from the list members, I found the
information on the Tiger site very useful.  Although I would have
liked to have made changes one at a time,
I do not have the luxury of time given that Conclave is rapidly approaching.
In review, I have a new engine and newly re-cored radiator. The radiator was
in service
briefly with the old engine and did not function well at idle.  This time,
with the new engine, I had the same rapid temperature rise at idle, but I
was also having problems at speed.  I first thought the re-core wasn't any
good - and my mechanic was quick to agree.  However, given the nature of air
flow with these cars I was reluctant to condemn the radiator without other
evidence.

One thing I didn't tell you guys the first time around is that I had also
installed a pusher fan.  I didn't want to muddle the whole thing with an
argument about the pros and cons of a pusher. I went with it because of the
at idle issues thinking it would provide the needed extra air flow. But
since I developed a problem at speed, I started seriously questioning the
pusher.

I made three changes. This is where I regret having not been able to do one
at a time. I removed the pusher. Found that the timing was too retarded, so
advanced via the fine tune knob (will find out later today where it actually
is). And lastly, changed out the Texas Cooler fan with a large flex fan that
was advertised as great for four-row radiators. I had been thinking that my
re-core was too thick for the current air flow arrangement. The flex fan was
a tad too large as it turned out. It was 17" and a bit scary.  I thought as
long as it cleared everything mounted to the engine, even if only by a
fraction, it would be okay. But there is always concern about the radiator
clearance, and the top hose wasn't clearing nearly enough.  So I didn't what
they tell you to never do. I trimmed the fan blades by about 3/8", providing
a 3/4" smaller diameter.  I had the make a spacer/adapter to mount the fan,
but that's another story.  I understand the Nocks sell spacer/adapter along
with a flex fan. That will be an easier solution for most people, but I
wanted the more aggressive fan.

To be continued...