Re: Volt meter

To: SUOZZO1@aol.com
Subject: Re: Volt meter
From: Roland Wilhelmy <rwil@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 18:11:35 -0700
Everything Tony said is true, but here is the flip side to the
argument, which I include for completeness
:
First, it is easier and less risky to hook up a voltmeter than an
ammeter.  With an ammeter either you run all the current through the
meter (and its internal shunt) or you have some more complicated
shunt-like arrangement.  It isn't going to be easy  like checking
voltage is.   Even discounting the starter cable, which probably won't
be part of the ampere reading, there can be quite a bit of current
through the meter -- and it is current that you don't want to
interrupt, like your headlights and wipers.  So you want the meter
wiring to be sturdy and reliable.

Second, if you had an accurate voltmeter (which most automotive
voltmeters aren't good examples of) you could tell the condition of
the battery and whether it was being charged or not.  If your
voltmeter can be read to tell if it is measuring 12, 13 or 14 volts
then a voltmeter can be quite useful.  You may have to discover what
part of the scale each of these voltages is indicated on your
voltmeter, but it can probably be done with decent quality automotive
equipment.  So you are 'calibrating' it yourself.

The choice is yours,

-Roland