[Healeys] BJ8 transmission wear

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] BJ8 transmission wear
From: "Freese, Ken" <Kendall.Freese@Aerojet.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 10:01:05 -0700
Looking at my transmission yesterday and in consideration of
benefits/detriments of the steel syncronizers found in BJ8
transmissions, Michael Meindorfer had a good suggestion to change the
oil in those transmissions every time one changes the oil in the engine.
Steel grinding paste (likely from syncro wear) was found in the nooks
and crannys of the case. My practice was to change oil roughly every 3/4
years. Not good enough! The smaller needle bearings of the BJ8 trans
(all center shift?)are another factor.
Non-detergent oil changed often sounds better than long life synthetic
to me.
Perhaps the OD pump could be used to run the oil to a real external
filter?
Ken Freese
65 BJ8