Re: [Healeys] oil mess on the way back from Conclave

To: <NPaul72464@aol.com>, <mkgoodman@worldnet.att.net>, <ahbn6@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] oil mess on the way back from Conclave
From: "Tracy Drummond" <bighealey@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 07:39:53 -0700
Ned,

Is it possible that you have a worn rocker arm which is pumping too much oil
to the top of the motor?  If so perhaps you have a small leak on the valve
cover and it is exaggerated by the extra oil and heat of long drives.

To check start the car up and look into the valve cover via the oil filler
cap.  If you have little geysers then it is probably time for a rocker arm
rebuild.  If you get oil squirted in your eye then the rocker needs
replacing.  There should only be a steady drip - drip from the rocker
oilers.

When sealing the valve cover you should start with a really clean cover.
Make sure the bottom is very flat by placing it on a flat surface as these
tend to get squashed in the middle from years of over-tightening.  You can
re flatten it by hand carefully.  If you have dings you should gently dolly
them out.  I have even seen them with holes around the outer edge where a PO
tried to fix leaks under the shade tree.  If you have leaks from the four
rivets that affix the two rocker badges (Austin and Set Clearance) then seal
these from the inside by first cleaning the area with sandpaper then using
JB weld (not gasket goo as this WILL come off and get into the motor).

This is also a good time to paint the cover with a rattle can of Moss engine
paint.

Next using a new cork gasket "glue" it on the cover with hardening gasket
dressing set it on a flat surface again and let it set over night.

Now clean up the head really well and after the valve cover gasket has dried
on to the cover, (and your rocker arm has been rebuilt if required) you can
put it back on the motor using a non hardening gasket dressing such as
hylomar or selador.

You should now have a leak-proof rocker cover with a reusable gasket, better
oil pressure (if rocker was rebuilt) and a shiny green color in the middle
of you engine bay.

That's my guess and I am sticking to it.  (grin)

On the other hand perhaps your dash pots were just over filled or
loose........

Tracy Drummond                  Gang Warily !
President AHCUSA              www.healey.org
VP/Events Director GGAHC  www.goldengatehealeys.com