Re: [Healeys] clutch slave cylinder

To: caddi5@comcast.net, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] clutch slave cylinder
From: "WILLIAM B LAWRENCE" <ynotink@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2007 23:09:13 +0000
>From my experience the alloy cylinders (master and slave) are easily
rebuildable.

I have never found one that showed any pitting or wear. Some of them did
have a coating of a shellac like material that I theorize was the remains of
old brake fluid that had dried out and hardened.

The main thing to remember is that the bores of these cylinders are coated
with an anodized layer that should not be disturbed as would occur by
honing. This layer is pretty much impervious to corrosion unless it is
exposed to an electrolytic force like a salt water bath...

I wouldn't try to rebuild a cylinder with a bore that showed damage of any
kind because they would require honing, but you may need to clean the bore
to discover if it is damaged.

I cleaned mine up in the kitchen sink with hot water, dish soap and an old
tooth brush. For the tougher spots a little soft scrub did the job.

After washing the cylinders I rinsed them thorougly and put them in the oven
at about 250 degrees for a half hour or so to dry them out.

(It's usually best to do these things when the wife is out of the house,
Just don't forget to clean up.)

A little attention to detail during assembly and they should be as good as
new. I like this method because it doesn't use any petroleum based cleaners
which might leave residuals that are difficult to clean out of the braking
system, it results in a clean, like new part and my hands were clean and
silky smooth. That doesn't happen much in this hobby.

Bill Lawrence
BN1