[Healeys] Advance Mech. Question BN1

To: "Healeys@Autox. Team. Net" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Advance Mech. Question BN1
From: "Greg Lemon" <glemon@neb.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 22:19:43 -0500
Getting away from the riveting discussion of club politics and back to
arcane technical discussion of our cars, I have discovered my distributor
advance springs were not in tension and so was getting limited advance
function, or more procisely a significant amount of mechanical advance at
idle, and not enough adjustment or range from there.

Anyhow, in the advance mechanism are little brass fulcrums, for want of a
better term, that the springs attach to.  They have two attachment points
one obviously giving more tension and one less, does anyone know which one
is the apporpriate one to use?  I was on the closer one, so my stretched
springs could concievably be fixed by going to the longer attachment point??
I also tried drilling an intermediate hole to attach the springs, but the
little fulcrum thingies seem to be made of some substance impervious
commercially available drill bits.

Does anybody sell new springs?? haven't found any at the usual suspects.  As
I recall it is the early DM2 "dizzy"

Thanks,

Greg Lemon
54 BN1

P.S. I am quite tapped out after the engine rebuild and although there is
still money (somewhere) spending it on the car may result in my being single
and paying alimony.  So please the suggestions of send it to a competent
shop to have it rebuilt or buy a new one, while quite possibly the right
course of action, are just not in the cards at the moment.