Re: [Healeys] Welding the Shroud

To: "Michael Hartfield" <hartfiel@alumni.princeton.edu>,
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Welding the Shroud
From: "bluechip" <bluechipracing@snet.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 08:57:52 -0400
Here's how I would do it:  Review this process with your welder before you
start.  Definitely fit up the peices on the car....fit the grill and fenders
also.  Carefully cut the shroud peices so you have butt joints (your welder
should tell you how large a gap he can fill).  Then once you are satisified
with the fit and contour, fixture the shroud peices together mechanically
(tiny clamps available from Eastwood or little temporary splices of aluminum
using clicues, pop rivets or even little sheet metal screws) Then get your
expert with a TIG welder finish the job.

I know an expert Aluminum welder in CT who is familiar with Healeys (he has
actually done a job similar to yours).  I'll put you in touch if you wish.

Jim Smith