[Healeys] BJ8 Roll-up Mechanism

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] BJ8 Roll-up Mechanism
From: Edward Keuer <edwjkeuer@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 09:54:37 -0500
Hello everyone,

Thank you all for helping me with my situation of a "stuck" window
regulator. I'd like to share briefly what I discovered. I removed all
the components (handles, winder handle, leather panel, armrest) and
then finally the regulator, after freeing the arm from the lower
window channel. The regulator arm and gear wheel could not be freed
and moved into the up position. It seemed as if the problem was
within the riveted gear housing. No amount of soaking, cleaning
mattered. So finally I and my brother in law drilled out the three
rivets holding the housing cover. As soon as the rivets popped off,
the large flat spring mounted on the outside "popped" or released its
tension, firing the left arm into me at the speed of sound (or so it
seemed)! Two painful lacerations on my hand right on the knuckles
were the result.

I believe, but don't know for sure, that the spring was installed
incorrectly (?) as the gears were apparently under such tremendous
tension that it was impossible to crank them with the leverage
provided by the winder handle. Some of you undoubtedly know for sure,
but the spring seems to be installed with the bent portion over the
uppermost portion of the metal "catch". Anyway after putting it all
back together the window goes up and down smoothly enough but doesn't
seem to hold its position well, i.e. it's easy to push down and even
slips a bit with jarring (which might happen as I drive?!). Things
still are not quite right, then.

Well, thanks to everyone as always for your submissions on this
subject. I'm putting everything back on today Saturday and here in
Chicago we are to have two beautiful autumn days with sun and temps
in the upper 70's. Wishing you all such driving conditions!

God bless all Healey owners!
Edw. J. Keuer
Wheaton, IL
'66 BJ8