Re: [Healeys] Johnk's video and driving techniques

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Johnk's video and driving techniques
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 14:14:51 EDT
In a message dated 10/26/07 10:10:42 AM, healeys-request@autox.team.net
writes:

> Jeff's hand positions seemed a bit unorthdoxed in the right hand corners.

I must agree. Johnk's got a very fast car but based on the video, it looks
ato me s if he could go faster with a little instruction from a pro. According
to the folks whom I've learned from (Skip Barber and Russell Racing, plus every
racing book on my shelf), the goal is to ALWAYS keep both hands separated
from one another by 180 degrees. For a normal race car with a tight turning
ratio, that means put them at nine and three when the car is going straight,
and
never move them from the rim the wheel except to shift. For a Healey with stock
steering, one might have to resort to rally-style shuffle steering (e.g. to
turn right, right hand pulls wheel down and then moves up to top of wheel next
to left hand, which then is moved down to bottom of wheel, 180 degrees off from
right hand, and both hands are held in that position to apex of corner).
However, even using that technique, the goal is to have the hands separated by
180
degrees in the tightest section of the turn, providing good control and rapid
response should the car start to slide in the corner.
Incidentally, he could use some improvement in his choice of line as well.
Lots more speed in that car than he's currently using, judging from the cars
that were passing him.
Cheers
Gary