[Healeys] Hylomar

To: Austin-Healey List <Healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Hylomar
From: Michael Gladwin <michaelgladwin@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2007 20:26:01 -0400
There was a recent thread about difficulty in obtaining Hylomar, so I
did a little research of my own.  Background: Hylomar is a non
setting sealant developed to a Rolls-Royce R&D specification.  I can
confirm from my 43 years with Rolls-Royce that it is used a great
deal in military aero engines, and it works very well. Hylomar web
site data shown below.

US military repair bases that look after RR aero engines have
certified an alternative -- Permatex 1372, presumably because it was
cheaper and more easily available in US.  Reports are that in many
years of operation there have been no leaks as a result of sealant
failure.

Hylomar is still available in UK and there is a later automotive
version  - Hylomar Universal Blue Racing Formula Gasket & Jointing
Compound

 From web site
"SQ32 was the original name of the R&D program at Rolls Royce that
led to the development of Hylomar Universal Blue. PL32 was the
original product name, and was available in Medium (PL32M), Light
(PL32L), and Heavy (PL32H) grades. Hylomar Aerograde superseded these
grades in 1985, but the references were retained in some
specifications."

Hope this helps, at least you can seal some of the leaks.  But then,
what will happen to the built-in Healey oxidation retardation liquid
dispersal system (HORLDS)

Mike Gladwin
BT7 II Tricarb