Re: [Healeys] Starting nut locktab interference 837-090

To: "'healeys@autox.team.net'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Starting nut locktab interference 837-090
From: John Loftus <loftusdesign@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 10:05:24 -0700
Ed (and Kelvin),

Thanks for sending on my question to Moss and for the reply. Situations like
this make me wonder why Moss doesn't include these types of 'installation
instructions/tips' with their parts more often. Perhaps they could print this
info on the parts receipt so it's not an extra piece of paper which adds to
logistics.

It would be helpful to list the torque setting since I couldn't find it in the
workshop manual and have been told everything from 75 ft/lbs to 140+ ft/lbs.

Minor point but I find the following part of the directions less than clear:

"The area of the bevel covering the recess machined into the pulley is then
hammered down into the recess locking the tab in place."

I think you are trying to say the remaining beveled area is hammered flat
against the pulley? If not, please clarify.

I still think the bevel is sized incorrectly and/or a flat washer design (no
bevel) would work just as well in this area. If I had known the remaining bevel
should be flattened out afterwards, I would have flattened the bevel before
installation and used a small chisel to raise the edge of the locktab that gets
flatten against the side of the nut.

And thanks for listening. My comments are intended to be helpful by providing
some feedback.

Cheers,
John