Re: [Healeys] bringing back the dead

To: <rawdawgs@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] bringing back the dead
From: George Haywood <haywoodone@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 20:38:38 -0400
   <I felt I was at TDC #1, and low and behold there was a   mark on the
pulley that lined up with the pointer. I pulled the cap and the   rotor was
180 degrees from the #1 lead>

If you are sure you're at TDC on compression of #1 and the timing mark is
lined up then your distributor drive spindle may be 180 degrees out.  Pull the
distributor by removing the two bolts at the base of the distributor on the
block and you will see, in the hole, the slots that engage the distributor
shaft.  One side slot is larger than the other so that the distributor will
only fit in one direction.  There is a threaded hole in the center in which
you can fit a long bolt (I don't know the size to use off hand) to withdraw
the spindle and replace it in the proper position 180 degrees around.  It will
twist as it comes out (counter clockwise I believe)  The two sides of the slot
should be approx. at the "twenty till two" position.  Your vacuum advance unit
will be heading toward the rear of the engine at about a 45 degree angle to
accept the vacuum line.  When you have all those conditions met then place the
distributor back in and check to see that the rotor is pointing toward the #1
lead.  Rotate the rotor (distributor spindle) by hand back and forth a little
to make sure that it is seated in the slots before you tighten it back up.
Then attach the wires and fire the beast up.

I think that is the proper method of changing a 180 degree out rotor but if
I'm not completely correct someone here will further assist in the explanation
of the procedure.

Good luck with it,

George
Help yourself to FREE treats served up daily at the Messenger Cafi. Stop by
today.
http://www.cafemessenger.com/info/info_sweetstuff2.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_OctWLt
agline