Re: [Healeys] List message limits

To: 'Healey Mail List' <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] List message limits
From: John Sims <ahbn6@optonline.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2007 18:45:16 -0500
I feel that I must chime in also.

This list is a totally FREE effort on the part of a dedicated LBC person,
Mark Bradikis. No moderators, no advertising, no contributing advertisers,
no nothing as opposed to some of the forums. Just member supported. I
contribute frequently and we all should to keep it alive. It bothers me when
people are critical of the burps and wheezes not understanding that if it
were not for Marks pocketbook and dedication, there would be no list. It
costs me almost $650 per year to maintain my web site for the edification of
Healey aficionados, which makes me wonder how much Mark pays out of his
pocket for the many lists he maintains -- not just Healeys but a plethora of
LBC lists.

That being said, I believe that if we observe the following suggestions, we
will continue to have a very good list:

1. Always include a relevant subject in the subject line.

2. Always edit your replies and delete the duplicative references leaving
only the relevant portions so that we can follow the thread. A little bit of
editing is easy to do.

3. Never send a blind post saying, for example, "I agree and also here is
what else" without a reference to the original post. All too often, there
will be a reply and no one can determine what was the original question. Be
mindful of the fact that many of us maintain our own archives.

4. When a post is made, rather than to reply direct, it is often better to
reply to the list.  Many of us wait for the reply only to, after several
days and seeing a reply to the reply, realize that we have been cut out.
Instead of hitting "Reply All" Just type in whatever you have in your email
client for the List. Reply direct to the list, cutting out the list, only
when the originator so requests. You will never know when an innocuous
question has wide spread appeal.

I am sure that there are many more rules that we should follow and these are
not intended to be applied to the Friday Funnies or other things that crop
up on the list the beauty of which is that this List is truly a daily world
wide Healey meeting in which we discuss Healeys 75 percent of the time, pass
jokes 5 percent of the time and the rest of the time just gabfest about a
plethora of subjects.

John Sims, BN6
Aberdeen, NJ

www.healey6.com

Dan:  I have praised Mark for this List in the past and send him a check
periodically to help defray costs so I am not looking for a change.
However,
if we "...Leave things alone..." then the long messages and compaints of
"bounce" will continue.  Mark wants to eliminate that problem but I felt it
important to point out the 'unintended consequences' of that effort (The
Other) Len
Vacaville,  California,  USA
1967 3000 MKIII, HBJ8L39031

  We have a guy that basically is running this site for free. It's a
dictatorship as well it should be. He spends his time doing this and he can
do
whatever he thinks best. It's a great site whatever the format. Leave things
alone!!!! Go take your Healeys for a drive!!

  Dan Serrao
  1963 BJ7