Re: [Healeys] Timing gear removal, now woodruff key

To: Stephen Hutchings <s.hutchings@rogers.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Timing gear removal, now woodruff key
From: Dave Russell <Rusd@sitestar.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 14:24:50 -0700
As I said earlier,

"Even the two keys on the crank can be very difficult to remove. Above
all, don't damage the crankshaft!"

You can usually tap on the exposed end of the key with a small punch.
The key may rotate & lift out of the slot on the back side or it might
lift on the front side. You can be sure that the key will be mostly
destroyed in the process.

If you ding the key slot, clean it up with a Swiss file. To avoid
further problems take time to dress the key slots in the crank &
sprocket. New keys are sometimes too wide or too high to fit the
original slots & may need to be carefully narrowed.  I recently spent
the better part of a day  to get everything fitted.