[Healeys] Plastic BN1 VIN plates

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] Plastic BN1 VIN plates
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 00:28:56 EST
In a message dated 11/27/07 7:51:25 PM, healeys-request@autox.team.net
writes:

> I was working with a resin model manufacturer a couple of years ago but
> beyond casting a couple of masters from originals that had to then be
> blanked out and cleaned up before a production mould could be made, he
> didn't get any further. Ever try to push a rope up hill?
> This appears to be a good method to get what we need, because this material
> would take a machinists stamp very well. He claimed he could even cast them
> in an ivory colour instead of the pure white resin.
> When I ran a survey asking how may folks would be interested in these I only
> got responses from 18 people.
>
> Rich Chrysler

Having had a badge maker make plastic badges several times, where the name
was put on by engraving through the top white layer of plastic to expose the
lower black layer of plastic, I think if you had a good model to work from, a
good badge maker (usually found at a diversified trophy company) could probably
produce a pretty fair replica of the original plate -- they're not all that
complicated and the lettering font is pretty standard. It would certainly be
better than having no plate at all in that location.
Just a thought,
Gary Anderson

Check out AOL's list of
2007's hottest products.