[Healeys] Mechanic/Starting Problems

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] Mechanic/Starting Problems
From: Edward Keuer <edwjkeuer@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 08:14:27 -0600
Hello all,

An update on my BJ8 starting problems might help someone else. At our
local Healey tech session yesterday, I/we changed the plugs (3 fouled
badly) and evaluated the situation with my choke mechanism. I had
noted that my choke did not seem to do anything, I could barely pull
it out, etc. Next to the carbs is a linkage consisting of a brass rod
in a channel, topped by a slotted screw on a small spring and v-shaped
mount. The screw is 10-32. When the choke is pulled this brass rod
should slide up and down and move the throttle just slightly,
enriching the mixture. My linkage mechanisms were solidly "frozen",
both of them (one for each carb), so the problem was diagnosed.

We pulled the screw off, taking care not to lose the slotted washer
beneath it, and removed the small spring and v-shaped metal piece.
Then the brass rod had to be worked loose and finally out of the
channel, so it could be cleaned up, lubed, and re-inserted. Take care
not to damage the threads on the top of the brass rod as you try to
gently pound it down through the channel (like I stupidly did, though
not severely) with a punch. Once everything was put back together, my
choke actually functioned! I was elated to start it (we were in a warm
garage), then pull the choke and hear that engine note change upwards.
We adjusted idle to about 950 rpm (was about 500 before). She just
purrs now. Today I test it after sitting cold all night in garage -
mine is not heated....YET!

Oh, and while that was being done 2 other members were under the dash
analyzing my heater control knob and why it was "stuck" at max
position. In short order they fixed the loose cable connection and
released some tension on a small spring just behind the knob to allow
it to overcome the "detent" and slide all the way across to the left.
And the in/out function on the knob worked to control the fan!

Hoping that this will make some sense to some of you, but I know I'm
not using the correct terminology for the all the parts. Tried to find
photos of these in the parts books I have, but couldn't seem to match
them up.

Anyway, I am so grateful to all the list members who offered
suggestions on my cold starting problems; your advice got me started
on the right track. And I am grateful to our local chapter and its
members for their help and support, especially Bob Brown at whose home
we meet each month and where we can peer into the inner workings of
his BJ8 which he is restoring, John Schroeder "the Healey doctor",
Greg, Jim, Bill, Price, and I'm sure I have missed someone. Thanks to
you all!

Edw. J. Keuer
Wheaton, IL
'66 BJ8