Re: [Healeys] Brake system rebuild

To: Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Brake system rebuild
From: Carl Johnson <healeys@carlivar.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 18:35:59 -0800
Thanks for the advice!

> - Check all bores--re-sleeve or replace if necessary (aluminum
> cylinders
> CANNOT be honed)

Didn't realize this. Is that different from typical old American
cars? That's mostly where I have my experience.

> - If your M/C was gunked-up, your servo will likely be as well.  Servo
> rebuild is doable for a competent amateur (check the archives for much
> discussion).  If you don't rebuild it, it'll malfunction sooner
> (probably) or later.

Good to know, will do.

> - If you want to use DOT 5 (I like it) you'll need to thoroughly flush
> all lines with denatured alcohol or other "dry" solvent and purge
> completely with dry compressed air (don't forget the reservoir and
> lines)

Right... I was told that the servo is incompatible with DOT5 though.
Is that still the case if I rebuild it (replace the seals)? I'm
guessing not...

> - I'd go through clutch cyls as well (while you're at it, install Mr.
> Finespanner's clutch bleed line extension)

Yeah got the master clutch cylinder out already. The inside is in
better shape but the outside is worse than the brakes. Need to get at
the slave cylinder next... gotta go through the gearbox tunnel I
guess. And yes I will *definitely* install that bleeder extension.
What a pain otherwise!

Carl