Re: [Healeys] steering box rebuild

To: Larry Varley <varley@cosmos.net.au>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] steering box rebuild
From: Ray Juncal <healeyray@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 21:47:41 -0800 (PST)
Larry
    Thanks for your reply.  The steering boxes I'm working on are the early
ones with a triangular end plate with the olive for the stator tube.  It sounds
like you have a later box.  The change came near the end of the BN-2 run and
that box was used to the mid-BN-6 run.
    Mike Salter suggests maybe one of you Australian  boys might have a good
used one left over  from your  conversion to  right hand drive.  So anyone down
there in the Antipodes  sitting on a left hand  steering box with a good worm
gear??
Regards
Ray juncal

Larry Varley <varley@cosmos.net.au> wrote:           Ray
 I had this pitting problem with my 3000 steering box worm ( a second hand one
I got to convert my box to RHD). You say BN1 and 2 boxes, isn't the worm on the
later BN1 and 2 boxes rivetted onto the splined steering shaft like the early
3000 boxes? I removed the worm, re machined the pitted area, re hardened and
refitted. Had to heat the end of the shaft and worm red hot to get the riveting
to close down to get the worm off. I then shimmed the bearings to allow for the
reduced length between the bearings from the machining. All the new worms I
have seen aren't made with a high spot in the middle like the originals, so can
have a tight spot in them over their range. I would try to fix yours. I have a
left hand drive worm that came out of my car that is in good condition, but it
has been red hot on the end and would need re hardening.
 Cheers
 Larry Varley