Re: [Healeys] Books Question

To: "'Jody Kerr'" <jodyfkerr@gmail.com>, "'Healey list'"
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Books Question
From: "Patrick and Caroline Quinn" <p_cquinn@tpg.com.au>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 19:06:25 +1100
G'day Jody

Interesting question as the answer really lies with what you want out of
your association with Healeys and Austin-Healeys.

Looking back over 30 years there is the original book "The Austin-Healey" by
Donald Healey and Tommy Wisdom. Then came the first of the authoritative
tomes "Healeys and Austin-Healeys" by Browning and Needham.

In fact if you wanted one book that covered the history of the marques I
would recommend "Healeys and Austin-Healeys".

If you wanted to know more about Healey History I would recommend all of
Geoff Healey's books as well as "My World of Cars" by Donald Healey. Of
course you can't go past Bill Emerson's "Healey Book" and I would suggest
that anyone who is fair dinkum about the marques must have one on the
library shelves.

Perhaps generalist information is what you want? Then I would suggest either
of the books by Graham Robson, the one you have "Healey - The Handsome
Brute" by Chris Harvey or the more recent books by Bill Piggott.

If restoration is your bag you already have that covered with the Clausager
and certainly the Anderson/Moment book.

There are also many specific books on Healeys and Austin-Healeys such as at
Le Mans, Liege-Rome-Liege and the Alpine Rally. Plus those by the likes of
Marcus Chambers and Stuart Turner who were successive BMC competitions
managers. However I will say that these are for those poor tragics amongst
us - like me.

Of course handbooks, workshop manuals and possibly parts manuals are de
rigueur.

There are also many compilations of road tests by Road & Track, Autocar etc.
There is even one just on Healey cars.

I could go on about various publications specific to certain aspects of the
marque but will finish by saying that just last month I picked up a copy of
"Rupert Jones - The memoirs of a Motorsporting Clergyman". Who was Rupert
Jones?

He was part of the team that took the 100/6 (VOK 490) to Montlhery in France
in 1957 before going on to be a navigator in Works Rally 3000s. He
eventually retired to tend his flock.

So there is plenty to read and you can really get down to the minutia if you
wish. It all depends on what you want.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Sydney, Australia