Re: [Healeys] Oil Additive Question

To: Ahealey Ahealey <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Oil Additive Question
From: Weston Keyes <westonkeyes@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 06:41:56 -0400
Mark,

   I'll throw out my advice on break in for what's it's worth. I "studied"
(hung around his shop) under a Jaguar guru in New Zealand for 3 months. For
breaking in an engine he bought the cheapest oil he could find and as soon as
the engine was running he took it out and "drove it like he stole it". Then
once the rings had a chance to seat then he put "good" oil in. I have used
this theory with 7 engine rebuilds and haven't had a problem. The theory as I
understand it is the new cross hatching in the cylinders acts like sandpaper
to the rings initially. You don't want to impede that process.  I was warned
not to idle the car too long initially because you don't want to dull the
"sandpaper" before it has done it's work or build up carbon. Good Luck.

Wes Keyes
York, Maine