Re: [Healeys] Golden Beige Metallic, or Metallic Golden Beige?

To: sbyers <sbyers@ec.rr.com>, Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Golden Beige Metallic, or Metallic Golden Beige?
From: Earl Kagna <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 21:39:04 -0700
Steve:

When I replied to the original poster, I simply used his terminology in my
reply.  I have since been gently reminded that I should know better - all in
good fun.  I have even had a couple of private conversations with Don Newman
who is the original owner of his gold BJ8.

Interestingly, the Pickovnic colour book has it as Golden Beige Metallic, so
you really can't blame people who may have seen it there.  All of the
original information that I have seen has the colour as Metallic Golden
Beige.

A couple of interesting bits of information that I have collected over the
years, from pretty reliable sources:

The MGB cars seem to have been primered in red lead, which greatly affected
the appearance of the finished car - the paint was usually watery and thin.
Mine was definitely primered that way.  It's one of the reasons that the
colour is very hard to replicate - you don't get those conditions with
today's paint.

It is known that the factory had lots of trouble with the gold BJ8's - many
of them had to be repainted either at the factory, or at the dealer.  To
avoid repeat problems, the colour was often changed on this repaint -
usually to OEW. (okay, Ivory White)  I have personally seen 2 original cars
that were in original OEW paint that had MGB chassis / engine bays.  There
is rare for you!

I'm not sure what you think I think you know Steve, but I'm really glad you
know it.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb