[Healeys] fuel pump problem?

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] fuel pump problem?
From: "Randy Dickson" <rdickson@midwestarchaeology.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 22:28:44 -0500
Listers,
I'm having a hard time starting my 63 BJ7 after it has been dormant for four
years.  I put five gallons of premium in and I know that the new aluminum
fuel tank and new hoses and pipes are good.  The engine sputters on starting
fluid but there is no fuel getting to the carbs.  The fuel pump is one of
those NAPA/Facet pumps for $30 or so.  It makes lots of noise when I turn
the key but produces nothing at the carbs.  I never quiets down when it runs
which makes me think that it is just pumping air. I even took the hose off
of the bowls and there was nothing. I wonder if the diaphragm or whatever
mechanism pumps in the little fuel pump has dried up.  Maybe I should just
replace it.  I have no reason to think that anything has clogged the fuel
lines.  Any thoughts?

Randy
Healey Archaeologist
63 BJ7