Re: [Healeys] Electrical issue - Need help

To: healey help <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Electrical issue - Need help
From: <insptwo@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 22:06:38 -0400
Lin:
Had the same problem with my BJ7. Finally found the culprit. Check and clean
all the cable connections where the cable from the battery connects at the
base of your firewall to everything else. It drove me nuts.
Bill
BJ7

> From: linwoodrose@mac.com> To: healeys@autox.team.net> Date: Wed, 7 May 2008
21:11:49 -0400> Subject: [Healeys] Electrical issue - Need help> > Last night
I took my recently restored BT7 out for a drive, returned > and parked in the
garage. Ran beautifully and I am pleased with how > everything has performed.
UNTIL,today I jumped in to start the car. > When I hit the starter button
there was a brief click and then > everything was dead.This was not the first
time out. I probably have > about 5 hours driving time with all components
working fine.> > Those items not dependent upon ignition switching such as
lights and > horn were unresponsive. With ignition switched on everything is
dead > also.> > I suspected the battery or a battery connection, because there
was no > heat, smoke or other signs of a typical short. Tested battery and it
> is strong. Checked boot switch and it is functioning properly. A test >
light shows current at the battery to solenoid connection. The > positive post
on the alternator also lights as you would expect.> > Since I am using the
alternator, my voltage regulator box has the > brown and the brown/blue wires
connected together on one terminal. The > yellow wires are joined together on
another terminal. The brown wires > show voltage when checked with test light.
Yellow do not.> > No fuses blown. The upper non-switched fuse block terminal
is live and > lights with test light. Though the horn and lights do not work.
The > lower switched terminal is not energized on either side of the block.> >
I checked the ground straps in the boot and the one from the engine to > the
frame. Both new, both securely fastened, and yes, I scraped the > paint off
first so they would have a good connection.> > So what is the problem? Can
anyone help?> > Lin> 1960 BT7 "The Bloody Beast"> 1959 Bugeye>