[Healeys] OD actuation problem

To: "Healey Mail Group" <Healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] OD actuation problem
From: "Healey Bruce" <healeybruce@roadrunner.com>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2008 22:46:36 -0700
I plan on contacting the Nocks again on Monday, but here's a question for
the list.  Last Saturday, my OD dropped out and would not engage again.
Tracing with a volt meter, I found that I had voltage to the upstream side
of the transmission selector switch, but when I moved the lever to the 3-4
range, voltage dropped to less than 1 volt on the downstream side.  Thinking
I had a short in the switch, I ordered a new one, and installed it tonight,
but same result.  I also noted that when the lever is moved to the 3-4
range, voltage on the upstream side also drops to less than 1 volt.

My throttle position switch has always been pretty useless, with the OD
dropping out with very little throttle applied, so I also adjusted it.  I
discovered tonight that I have voltage with the throttle depressed about 1/4
way, but then lose voltage at somewhere around 2/3 engagement.  I also hear
something springing--like the spring is letting go--from the throttle
switch.  Would a faulty throttle position switch cause my symptoms?  Is it
possible that my solenoid is shorting out?

Bruce Steele
1960 BN7
Brea, CA