Re: [Healeys] Fw: Gearbox and Overdrive finally separated

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Fw: Gearbox and Overdrive finally separated
From: Healeyguy <healeyguy@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 19:20:21 -1000
Earl / Ken
Careful swapping mainshafts.  As I recall the late BT7 thru BJ7 mainshafts had
a larger shaft diameter then the BN4 where the first motion shaft bearing
resides. Could be wrong on this.

Speaking of differences in shafts, anybody know what is different between the
BN2 thru BN6 mainshaft and the next generation BN7 thru early BT7 mainshaft?
Sorry for the use of shaft so often.
Aloha
Perry

Earl wrote:
Ken:

Sounds like at some point, the car was reversed with the overdrive still
engaged - one of the switches likely failed.  We are working on a BN4 box
with the same mess - totally destroyed planet / sunwheel set, one-way
clutch, annulus, and gearbox mainshaft.  So far, we've found all the needed
parts except the mainshaft - the BN4 stuff is getting pretty rare.

I have a surplus very good, useable BT7 mainshaft - it's from a later
top-shift box, but the part is the same for the late side-shift.  If you
aren't able to come up with something closer to home, we can talk.  You
don't happen to have a spare BN4 mainshaft lying around - it would be a
great fit for a swap!