Re: [Healeys] Computer Stuff not Healey related

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Computer Stuff not Healey related
From: ggilliam@usol.com
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 23:57:51 GMT
 In the early 70's, the beginnings of computerized industrial
process control, using a general purpose scientific mini-computer to
control power plants. Using 12K of core memory, ran two huge
boilers and all the auxillaries. Programming accomplished using a
Teletype ASR-33, stored on paper tape, about 550 feet long. It
took over twenty minutes to load the tape, if it didn't kink or miss-
read. If it did, start over! Ahh, the good old days.
  For US-er's, Happy Memorial Day...thanks to all who served!

  Gordy

> I can remember being online on Quantum Link, the precursor to
AOL, and

bounces+wsthompson=thicko.com@autox.team.net
bounces+wsthompson=thicko.com@autox.team.net] On Behalf Of T
> Sent: Saturday, May 24, 2008 9:11 AM
> To: healeys@autox.team.net
> Cc: AAHealeyguy@aol.com
> Subject: Re: [Healeys] Computer Stuff not Healey related
>
> This thread is a walk down memory lane...
>
> I ran CP/M on my Heathkit H-8.  I had 64K of memory and 3
floppy drives
> squeezed into the H-17 disk drive enclosure with a cooling fan to
keep the
> power supply from overheating.  The first program I wrote was a
terminal
> emulator in basic;  that was too slow so I re-wrote it in 8080
assembler.
> Mine was built in my apartment in Halethorpe, MD.  :-)  It's boxed
up now,
> waiting until I get too old to get in and out of my Healey.
>
> At my first real job, our lab had a DEC PDP-12 (basically a PDP-8 /
LINC).
> I use to program that in FOCAL or PAL-8 assembler.  It had no
disk drives, a
> tape drive, and a paper-tape punch/reader on a teletype
machine.  And 16K of