Re: [Healeys] rear hub and axel

To: Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] rear hub and axel
From: John Harper <ah@jharper.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 09:17:35 +0100
Alan

>DO NOT, I repeat , DO NOT use silicone sealer in lieu of the paper
>gasket.  If you have your paper gasket (get the proper one from a
>healey supplier, don't make your own - they are made to a precise
>thickness) and the O ring replaced (also replace the Hub oil seals),

I realise that I have slightly changed the subject but I always use a
ring of silicone sealer as well as the original gasket on early BN1 rear
hubs.

These are the same as your Atlantic and do not use an 'O' ring. These
early versions on Austin hubs were a bad design and if you read the
workshop manual it says "It is essential that the face of the outer hub
protrudes .001" to .004" beyond the face of the hub plus paper
washer.......". This means that the paper washer is never compressed so
oil can seep past it.

This problem was recognised on the A30/A35 hubs where they gave this
reason for a modification to include an 'O' ring. It might be possible
to modify these early hubs to allow for an 'O' ring but I find that a
carefully closed ring of silicone sealer always works for me.

By the way the same applies to early 5 stud hubs that do not use an 'O'
ring

I agree an 'O' ring in good condition is all that is required.

Regards
--
John Harper