Re: [Healeys] Healeys Digest, Vol 2,

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Healeys Digest, Vol 2,
From: Patrick Yoas <pyoas@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 12:10:10 -0700 (PDT)
    Message: 1
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2008 21:02:37 -0700
From: "James Shope"
Subject: [Healeys] shock towers
To: "healeys"

checked the archives but no luck. i am trying to determine the best way to
remove the old shock tower plate on a bj7 which is kaputt. it is on the
driver side and i assume you have to remove the steering gear. do you cold
chisel or grind it off. i am also assuming the new shock plates have the
captive nuts welded in already. we are going to have a mobile welding guy
come by to weld the new plate. what do i need to tell him about making sure
everything is in the exact place and how critical it is, etc.,
healeymanjim

  I stripped a nut several years ago and did an effective repairs(If this is th
reason you are removing the plate). I cut an access to the nut that was
stripped with a dremel tool and lifter the access plate uo and with a little
grinding and a hammer I knocked the stripped nut out. I had a friend of mine
machine a new nut to match the old one and actually made it 1/8" higher. He
retained the same step done feature and then I welded it in place.
Patrick
  BJ8