Re: [Healeys] Boat Gas Mileage--non-healey

To: glemon@neb.rr.com, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Boat Gas Mileage--non-healey
From: Gbouff1@aol.com
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 20:46:02 EDT
Greg,

That's very decent gas mileage as far as boats  go.  Keep in mind that once
you reach speed after accelerating in  a car, you can then back off on the
throttle and still maintain speed.  In  a boat you just slow down when letting
off
the throttle. That prop  stuck in the water is nothing more than a big water
pump, the more  water you pump, the faster you go.

I had a 21 FT Deep Vee fishing machine powered by twin 125 HP  2cycle (very
inefficient) outboards back in the early 90's.  Gas  mileage at 25-30 mph
cruise was around 15 gph and wide open throttle was 30  gph at 50-55 mph.
Needless
to say, I dumped it during the gas price  increases caused by Desert Storm.

I've fished with a friend for over 25 years in his 23 ft single  V8 and he
averages around 10 gph at 20-25 mph.   Even at today's  price, buying gas and
bait is still cheaper than owning a boat.

So in answer to your question, 12 gals seems reasonable for 2 hours at
cruising speed.

Gary Bouffard
Happy former boat owner

fuel-efficient used cars.