[Healeys] Occasional loss of power under acceleration.

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] Occasional loss of power under acceleration.
From: Maurice Maxwell <maxandreb1@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 09:06:04 -0700 (PDT)
I have experienced a new problem.  I attended the Gold
Cup Races at VIR two weekends ago and as part of the
car show event we got to take laps around the 1.1 mile
Patriot Course.  The first few laps went well the
engine reved smoothly to 4000 rpm in 3rd followed by a
shift to OD.  Then on the 4th lap I depressed the
accelerator pedal and the engine sputtered (no
backfire, more like no fire or no fuel).  Drove the
car back to the show field the engine ran smoothly.
On my to the motel, I got the same problem if the
accelerator pedal was depressed beyond a certain point
of if the engine rpm was above 3000 rpm.  Again the
same the next day driving back to the track.  The car
sat in the shade all day and the ambient temperature
was about 100 degrees.  After the races, I left for
home, about 100 miles.  The car ran just fine.  Good
power under full acceleration up to 4000 rpm in any
gear even 4th OD.  It was still hot on the return
trip, but not as hot as it was during the laps and the
trip to the motel the previous day.

Several days later, I took the car out and it ran
fine.  Visited with some friends, left their house
about 10 PM drove about 20 miles and the problem
returned.  Turned the engine off for about 1 min,
restarted it, drove several miles, and it struck
again/

What are the possible causes of my dilemma  All help
appreciated.

Max
1961 BT7