[Healeys] BN4 Gearbox Mainshaft

To: Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] BN4 Gearbox Mainshaft
From: Rick Swain <rjswain@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 23:33:07 +0000
I'm in the process of rebuilding my BN4 sideshift, overdrive gearbox. The
mainshaft appears to have some wear on the end that goes into the first motion
shaft. I haven't done a thorough search but it appears that these mainshafts
are not available, only those for the later 3000 sideshift boxes. Does anyone
know of a source for these mainshafts, or does anyone have a good used one?
Failing that, is it possible to build up the end of the shaft and machine it
to fit? Anyone have the original specs?

I'm not interested in converting to a 5 speed box.

Thanks

Rick Swain
'59 BN4