[Healeys] Paint flaking

To: Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Paint flaking
From: Michael Gladwin <michaelgladwin@mac.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 10:54:00 -0400
Thanks to those helping with my carb label question.  You learn a lot
and fast with this forum!

New question:  My car was sprayed in 1989 in Canada.  The paint is R-M
Dia-mont clear oat finish from BASF ('90 corvette red ((code 47))
which is supposed to be a Colorado red equivalent).

Problem:  While the top of the car is fabulous the underside of the
wheel arches and the chassis are flaking.  There does not seem to be
sufficient paint to metal bonding.  This is patchy at present but has
gotten worse over the last 5 years.  The patented, British, rust-
preventative, chassis-oil-smearing system has avoided corrosion build
up, but it don't look nice.

Question:  without a major re-spray how do you contain this problem in
a tidy way.  Is there a good brush on solution.  Any source material/
recommendations gratefully received

Mike
'62 BT7 MkII