[Healeys] On the Road to Conclave (Day 5)

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] On the Road to Conclave (Day 5)
From: BJ8 Healeys <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 7:18:40 -0400
Lubbock, TX..... home of Buddy Holly, Mac Davis, Texas Tech University and
5-minute stop lights --- and plenty of them.  George's car finally succumbed to
DLRS (Dreaded Lucas Rotor Syndrome) and died while waiting at one of the
lights.   I watched George & Sherry push the car to the side of the road (hey,
somebody had to control traffic!) but it only took about 5 minutes to diagnose
the problem and pop in another rotor.   The more I hear of this problem, the
more I like my Mallory Dual-Point distributor.

Today was our longest drive in mileage - 386 miles from Wichita Falls, TX to
Artesia, NM.  It was a very nice, but hot, drive through some real prairie and
plains full of mesquite and cactus.   I always think of Kansas when I think of
sunflowers, but somewhere on this drive there was a whole field of them,
growing like weeds and looking very cheery.  Hmm... I guess they ARE weeds!
There were some along the medians and shoulders, too.
These are not the big sunflowers that produce seeds for men and birds, but
little guys of another variety.  Maybe I like them so much for the same reason
that I painted my Healey yellow and black....

Once I saw what I thought looked like a scorpion running across the road in
front of me, but I'm not sure there are scorpions in Texas.  It was much too
big for an insect, but too small for an animal.  Later, I saw two of them in
quck succession also crossing the road and I resolved to stop and chase one
down the next time I saw one, but I never did.   I now believe these must have
been the Texas tarantulas that Michael Oritt said would try to hop a ride to
San Diego with any passing car, so maybe it's just as well that I never saw any
more of them.  According to Michael, they will do anything to get a lift,
except thumb (because they don't have any thumbs!).

An interesting sight near Seymour, TX was the concrete bridge that had various
cattle brands molded all over its surface.   It was here by the bridge that
US82 straight ahead was barricaded and the sign said "US 82 detour -->" and
immediately after the right turn the sign said "Detour end".   A left turn at
the detour end sign that put us right back on US82 but on the opposite side of
the bridge from where we started.  I still haven't figured that one out.

One very nice custom in Texas that I haven't seen anywhere else but would like
to is that slower cars will move over and drive on the shoulder to let faster
cars pass rather than make them follow for miles waiting for a passing lane.
In our Healeys, we were more the overtakees rather than the overtakers, so we
followed the custom, too.

Happy Healeying!
Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666