[Healeys] re paint formulation

To: healey list <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] re paint formulation
From: Carroll A Phillips <bjcap@optonline.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2008 23:13:48 -0400
Bob,

My experience as a full time resto shop and body /paint guy is for the
metallics you are pretty much destined for a base/clear system. For solid
colors you can go (my recomendation) a single stage urethane. Why, because
the single stage will allow for spot repairs if needed and not having to
reclear a whole panel and most importantly for darker colors the longevity
of the surface from constant washings that will haze a clearcoat ( it
scratches white ) Yes they will both will clean up with a polish or wet sand
/buff but there is just a better look on a solid color to me with a single
stage setup. As far as high gloss goes, it depends on the brand and / or
type of urethane used. Consult your painter. Ive used a flattening agent on
the single stage or clearcoats (top coats) to die down the gloss in my
frame/engine bay/trunk/ all black parts/ top frame assy. ect. as the
original enamels werent  the same high gloss as modern urethanes are. Trick
is to get it looking like the original. Your choice, some folks like it all
glossy.

Carroll Phillips       Top Down Restorations