Re: [Healeys] Torque for Hub Locknut and Securing Nuts

To: Al Malin <amalin@mac.com>, Healeys Newsgroup
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Torque for Hub Locknut and Securing Nuts
From: bspidell@comcast.net (Bob Spidell)
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 15:03:40 +0000
Al,

Good question(s).

> What should they be torqued to?
>
> 1) Hub Locknut (the one big nut that holds the rear wheel bearing, etc)

I've never seen an official torque value, but for most cars it's an obscene
amount (i.e. >=150ft-lbs).  IMO, you torque as tight as you possibly can, which
won't be possible unless you have a suitable socket (I sprung for an "official"
socket, which if I recall came from Hemphill's).  Given that--and correct use
of the locktabs--you shouldn't have any problems (the hub bearing is an
interference fit and would probably stay on on its own, for a while at least).
Since the locktabs are mild steel they will compress a bit, so the more tension
to start the better.

> 2) Securing Nuts (the five nuts that hold the hub extension)

I believe the "official" amount is 60 ft-lbs.  I have aways used 100ft-lbs,
which is what's called for in most modern autos for lug nut tightness.  Also, I
do reuse the locking nuts, but I clean the threads and (re-)apply blue Locktite
and have never had one loosen (Locktite has become a religion for me ;)

bs

From: Al Malin <amalin@mac.com>