Re: [Healeys] My BN2

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] My BN2
From: Douglas W Flagg <dwflagg@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 19:43:56 -0400
I owned my BN2 for over 15 years and spent much of that time acquiring
the many missing parts. I was even able to locate the original doors from
a PO in St. Louis. The tunnel cover, one door and the grille ( and I'm
sure something else) were restored by Everett Smith. The one missing
cockpit surround piece was located, quite by chance, during a casual
conversation with the last owner. When I reluctantly sold my BN2 it was
because I realized I had neither the time or resources to do it
correctly. The new owner seemed eager to complete the task, saying that
the BN2 and Healey Blue were his favorite. So as the trailer disappeared
around the corner and with sadness in my eyes, I realized (I thought)
that my BN2 was going to a good home. Today I received a call from the
"new" owner of the chassis. It seems that my BN2 has been parted out with
years of hard work and labor of love cast to the winds, lost forever to
the greed of a new generation. I'm at a loss to understand this process
as surely the BN2 could have been sold for a fair market price. He
mentioned to the new owner that some of the parts had been sold on
Craig's list (is that an offshoot of the Healey list?). I see this a lot
with model trains, where the assumption is that the parts are worth more
than the whole, but when it is gone, it is gone. The owner who parted out
my BN2 is a Healey person and certainly understands the history of our
cars. I was angry, at first, but now am sad that, unless a miracle
happens, the wholeness and originality of the BN2 are lost. Sure, it can
be put back together with parts from other 100's that, for the most part,
have been parted out, but it will not be the same. When I sold the BN2 it
had a unique character and history (had been raced). The pages have been
ripped away, leaving a cover but no story. I really would like to know
why, but probably never will. The moral, make sure the new owner is for
real.

Doug