[Healeys] Gas mileage to conclave

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] Gas mileage to conclave
From: Martin Jansen <jule_enterprisesah@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 18:55:41 -0700 (PDT)
 First let me say I did not drive my Healey to California but trailed it
there. I made a similar trip last August also trailering a car of similar
weight to the  Healey using the same truck.
 I have realized upon my return and doing my calculations that I used 22% more
fuel on this recent trip compared to last trip. I am not referring to cost but
to consumption of fuel. The cost was also increased but my concern was the
consumption of gas.
I am concerned about the oil companies adding ethonal to fuel. I believe this
process reduces the energy density of the gas causing more fuel to be used to
achieve the same energy density as plain gas with no ethanol.
My understanding is that harvesting the corn for ethanol is a very expensive
process and great deal of fuel is used to harvest it. Is this the way we
should be going?
Why would you reduce energy density in fuel which would result in higher
consumption of this mixed fuel? resulting in higher consumption of oil
reserves.
Are the costs of harvesting for ethanol being retrived though higher volume
sales in fuel?
Are oil companies like cigarette companies adding something  to their product
for higher consumption?
And what effect does this fuel have on austin Healeys?
Do you readers have any thoughts on this?
Happy Healeying,
 Marty
www.jule-enterprises.com