[Healeys] KISS

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] KISS
From: sebring@illawarra.hotkey.net.au
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 14:10:20 +1000
FWIW at our club meeting last week we were given a talk with Q & A session on
old BMC sports cars. This man has run his own repair business,engine overhaul
shop and designed and had cast cross-flow heads for A-series engs. that gave
approx. 30HP improvement.He passed on the following. Ethonol may give higher
octane figure but a higher volume of fuel is required. This may be achieveable
with computers and knock sensors etc. but may not deliver the goods with
SU's.Fuel consumption will be worse. It is also acidic and in some proportions
can affect zinc, rubber and who knows?
Valve seat recession, best practical control measure is to carefully set the
valve clearences and then a closing gap indicates seat wear, otherwise keep
driving.
Joe