Re: [Healeys] BJ8 Overdrive Kicks Out

To: philritten@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8 Overdrive Kicks Out
From: "Alan Seigrist" <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 11:33:49 +0800
Phil -

If he really was a master mechanic, he would not have removed the relays.
The relays are typically very easy and cheap to fix without replacement.
Sounds to me he didn't know much about the cars.

You definitely do not want to be using the OD without the relays - they are
there for several very good reasons.  Unless you are a racer and very
knowledgeable about the cars, the relays were put in there specifically for
the average user to prevent them from destroying their ODs.  I'd spend the
time and effort to try to rig all the relays up again, it wouldn't be a very
difficult job, frankly, and will make driving the car much more
pleasurable.  One of the small pleasures about driving these cars is when I
blip the throttle to cut the OD out of 4th coming off the highway.

Alan

'52 A90
'53 BN1
'64 BJ8