[Healeys] RE- 62bt7 -black arcing dust on the distributor rotor

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] RE- 62bt7 -black arcing dust on the distributor rotor
From: tammy neumann <bj867@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 07:01:07 -0700 (PDT)
Kurk,

I had a similar problem with my BJ8.  It was misfiring and had no power soon
after a full electrical tune-up.  I found a thin coating of black powder inside
the distributor cap.
I determined this was carbon powder that came from the carbon brush (top center
of the distributor cap that makes contact with the rotor).  I cleaned the
inside of the distributor cap with electrical contact cleaner and a clean
cloth.  My car has been running fine ever since this one time experience.  I
suppose what had happened was that the carbon brush had a break in period
initially before it fully seated and that produced the carbon dust.  The cap
was not a Lucas but a high quality replacement from one of the preferred Healey
vendors.

Mark Neumann
BJ8

Message: 15