[Healeys] Why Don't depress the clutch ?

To: Rich C <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Why Don't depress the clutch ?
From: gilbert gauthier <comkanuk@cgocable.ca>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 22:44:15 -0400
Hi Rich,

         This afternoon i was talking with one of the old timer
member  fom our healey club concerning the procedure that i use when
starting my healey. i was saying to him that I don't touch the clutch
and put the car in neutral to start it. He allready told me that it
was the no good way because it make the starter to work harder. I
told him that i saw somewhere in the Healey list that the way to go
with healey was not touching the clutch. With my VW 08 in cold
condition i depress the clutch for sure and i had always did with all
my manual cars.   Then i looked at the mail archive i found something
that you wrote in april 2006 in respond to someone concerning problem
in cold start.

        If it not too much to ask why is it different with healey
clutch and regular manual car.

Thank

gilbert

BT7 (61

((((   (((((::::Hard to start when cold:::::

Gentlemen,

Both of you (Dick and David) noted that you put the clutch all the
way in
while cranking. Don't do that.

Make sure the gear lever is in neutral and crank the engine without
touching
the clutch. Depressing the clutch only puts more load on the crankshaft
thrust washers and slows the cranking speed.

Rich Chrysler