Re: [Healeys] Fuel Problems

To: healey help <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Fuel Problems
From: <insptwo@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 15:11:22 -0400
Randy:
If you look at where the fuel line connects to the tank, when you are going up
a steep incline, you are actually running out of gas when you are low on gas,
because the gas is going to the rear of the tank and now you have no gas at
the outlet. Used to have that problem in the sixties with a falcon wagon up in
Pennsylvania. Occasionally, had to turn around and BACK UP the hill.
Bill
BJ7

> From: Healey100M@gmail.com> To: healeys@autox.team.net> Date: Sat, 26 Jul
2008 12:43:21 -0600> Subject: [Healeys] Fuel Problems> > Hi list, we're on a
month long tour of the Pacific Northwest, Banff/ > Lake Louise and now
Yellowstone & Tetons before we head back to the > east coast and having a
problem with the BJ8.> > With approx. 4.5 - 5.5 gallons left in the tank I
start to get a lot > of sputtering from lack of fuel on steep upgrades. A
couple time the > BJ8 quit but as soon as I fill it up it is fine regardless
of hill > grade. Today I actually ran out of fuel with 5.5 gallons in the tank
> on a flat level stretch of highway. Coasted into a gas station, turned > the
ignition back on and the car started right up.> > It is hot outside (85
degrees) and we are at altitude approx. 7000 ft.> > Carbs are balanced and
leaned out slightly because of the altitude. > They seem to be in good
adjustment. Idle is good & it runs very strong > when full of fuel. Car is not
running hot. Tried 2 different gas caps, > no help.> > The car has 2 fuel
pumps, doesn't make a difference which I use. > Happens with either.> > Anyone
have an idea what's going on?> > TIA> > Randy> > Randy Hicks> '56 100M> '62
BN7 MkII> '65 BJ8> '53 MGTD> Healey100M@gmail.com>