Re: [Healeys] chirp/squeek in BN-1

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] chirp/squeek in BN-1
From: "Greg Lemon" <glemon@neb.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 23:12:29 -0500
Some diagnostic questions and some guesses, you say it does it when idling
and whem moving does the frequency go up and down directly with engine
speed? (as in revving at idle) car speed? (rolling) or neither?, if engine
speed then the generator/belt/water pump school of thought may be a good
one, except you said turning the wheel to the left seems to stop it, which
would make those sources somewhat less likely.

In which case it could be in the stearing column, or a squeaky bushing or
something like that.  If you think it is in the column you might try just
pressure up down sideways etc, on the steering wheel and see if it does
anything.  There is supposed to be a bush in the column that is often worn
out or missing.  You might also try pushing down on the front fender (either
side) while idling and the sound is going on to see if that makes any
difference.

Disconnect the tach cable? once again the steering thing does not fit with
this, but I have had squeaky instruments before.

Greg Lemon
(used to have a BN1 that made lots of noises)