Re: [Healeys] dash question for a BJ7

To: "Randy Dickson" <rdickson@midwestarchaeology.com>, "Healeys"
Subject: Re: [Healeys] dash question for a BJ7
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 21:16:33 -0400
Randy,

How timely. I am currently trimming out a '61 BN7 completely using Heritage
components and materials. The dash just went into the car yesterday after I
installed the fuzzy edging you refer to. The following would be the same on
a BJ7.
I first installed all the components I possibly could into the dash
assembly, then found and opened up the mounting screw holes through the
vinyl. Then I installed the fuzzy edging.
The edging starts immediately each side of the heater control panel and
presses onto the bottom edge, working toward the outer ends, cutting the
edging to finish right near the top of the dash panel. Any raw edges of
aluminum core will be well hidden where it tucks up under the shroud edge
and scuttle seals. This fuzzy edging must be installed first, before the
dash is installed. This fuzzy edging is the old aluminum core stuff that
must be gently pried open with a flat bladed screwdriver, then pressed onto
the dash, and finally gently pressed closed again. I used slip joint pliers
to press the strip closed. It seems to be firmly attached and unlike at a
door threshold opening, won't be disturbed in its position so should stay on
well.
When the dash mounting screws are tightened onto the left and right end
mounting brackets, the inner edge of fuzzy strip will be pinched a bit
between dash and mountings, but will not present any problems.
The accompanying pictures show the installation in place.

I'm sending this to John Sims in case he cares to post this along with the
pictures so others can follow the text.

Rich Chrysler