Re: [Healeys] Alternator fo BJ 8

To: Healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Alternator fo BJ 8
From: Ray Carbone <racarbon@optonline.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 07:40:00 -0400
Hi All,

Sorry I didn't post this sooner.  At different times I have installed both a 65
amp (more than sufficient) 10-SI and a 105 amp (ridiculous) CS130 Delco
alternators on my BJ8 and found both to be effective.  I have also found the
easiest and most economical way to mount these units, without modification to
the alternator housing, was to install a double pulley on the alternator to
gain the forward spacing necessary for belt alignment.  This installation
approach allows the use of the existing Healey generator engine mounting
bracket and only requires the addition of a length of 3/8" pipe as a spacer and
a single long bolt (fitted through the distributor side) to secure the unit.

Additionally, a longer universal belt adjuster was required and obtained from
the internet.  The original adjuster was removed and the new unit was installed
on the inner side (opposite of the original) of the original location with a
new bolt and properly spaced with washers.  This placement allowed the new
adjuster to secure proper belt tension and attached to the alternator on the
inside of the mounting ear (rather than the pulley side} to eliminate any
chance of cooling fin interference.

The benefits of this mounting approach are simplicity (few components), cost of
under $40 (the double pulley - 3/8" or 1/2" cost approx $12 and the adjuster
$10 plus shipping along with pipe and bolt from Home Depot for $6).  Also, the
alternator is mounted the way it was designed and with no modifications to any
component.  The best part, I painted the components with Healey engine paint
(as was the original generator) and the installation looks natural.

You can obtain the double pulley you need (3/8" or 1/2"), the alternator, and
the adjustor from Wayne Weitzel at Weitzel Garage (419-668-2844 or on eBay at
http://stores.ebay.com/Triodiode-DC-Electric-And-Tractor_W0QQ_trksidZp284.m184QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DDR%26its%3DS%252BI%252BSS%26itu%3DISS%252BUCI%252BSI%26otn%3D4
     (no financial connection).  If you order the alternator, call him and ask
him to mount the double pulley so you don't have the added task.  Wayne is a
pleasant and helpful person and I have found his prices very competitive.

I hope this helps.

All the best,

Ray Carbone '64 BJ8 original owner