[Healeys] Gearbox Assembly

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] Gearbox Assembly
From: tomleavy@comcast.net
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 12:15:24 +0000
Hi Listers-

I could use some input on the correct reassembly of a centershift tranny. I
just changed the input oil seal, and had the bellhousing off. That was easy
enough, and back together it went.

I only came to realize that there is a buffer in the bellhousing, listed as
part #3 in the factory gearbox diagram. Of course, I came to this realization
after the whole thing was reassembled and threads sealed between gearbox and
bellhousing. Is this buffer really necessary, and what may happen if I don't
install it?

My second concern is that the diagram shows parts #36, 37 and 38 (circlip,
plate and spring, respectively). I found and reinstalled only the plate and
spring during my disassembly and that's how it went back together. So do I need
to also install the circlip? How important is the spacing in this region? I'm
thinking that since there is a spring shim involved it will take up the slack.

Finally, my third question is in regard to the rear (overdrive) oil seal. It
would appear that I just pull off the rear flange, and then prise out the oil
seal from the case. Any advice from listers that have successfully removed the
seal? WHat did you use to grab the seal? I am afraid that if after 45 years the
seal does not want to release itself from its'home, I may scratch the output
shaft in the struggle.

As always, your wisdom is appreciated.

Tom